Criminal Justice students prepare for the world of work
The Texas A&M University-Texarkana Department of Criminal Justice recently partnered with the university’s Career Development office to help graduating students prepare for the job market.
In Seminar in Criminal Justice, upper level students reviewed the different components of the criminal justice system, as well as current events in the U.S. justice system. As part of the seminar, Career Development staff members Tina Boitnott, director, and Amanda Olson, coordinator, reviewed resumes and cover letters for each student and also conducted mock interviews. Students indicated that the feedback was very helpful to them.
Students also prepared LinkedIn profiles and reviewed their social media accounts for any potential problems that prospective employers may flag.
Finally, each student completed an information interview with a leader in the field to which they aspired to learn more about the career path and what may be expected on a day-to-day basis.
“The partnership with Career Development was very valuable to help students develop and prepare for a career in criminal justice,” said Brenda Riley, assistant professor of criminal justice. “The Career Development office is available for similar partnerships with other departments and welcomes the opportunity to help our Eagles soar.”
Career Development has announced a series of events for the fall 2017 semester:
· Aug. 29 – Spotlight on Texarkana – Eagle Lounge, University Center
· Sept. 5 – Hire an Eagle Workshop – Eagle Lounge – 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
· Sept. 20 – Career Fair Mock Interview Workshop – University Center 116 – 4-6 p.m.
· Sept. 27 – Career and Internship Fair – Eagle Hall – 1-3 p.m.
· Oct. 2 – Hire an Eagle Workshop – Eagle Lounge – 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
· Oct. 10 – Alumni Panel – University Center 116 – 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
· Nov. 1 – AceTalks: A Workshop Series – LinkedIn – University Center 210 – 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
· Nov. 8 – AceTalks: A Workshop Series – Resume Building – University Center 210 – 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
· Nov. 9 – Veterans’ Fair – Eagle Lounge – 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
· Nov. 15 – AceTalks: A Workshop Series – How to Interview – University Center 210 – 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
· Nov. 16 – Global Etiquette Dinner – Tri-State Iron & Metal Atrium – 5:30-7 p.m.
For more information about these events, contact Amanda Olson in the Career Development office atAmanda.Olson@tamut.edu.
Tina Boitnott, director of Career Development at A&M-Texarkana, conducts a mock interview with student Natasha Charles as part of the Criminal Justice department’s partnership with Career Development.
Amanda Olson, coordinator of Career Development and student Kashyra Thompson visit during a mock interview as part of the Seminar in Criminal Justice.